RRWIB Council on Youth Meeting – 12/21/16
Your Journey Starts Here Committee Vermont Adult Learning Center
24 Evelyn Street, Rutland
Terri Ballou – GE
Shirl Harrington, Mill River UHS
Amy Labate – Rutland Middle School
Amanda Mason – Poultney Middle School
Karla Ramey – Castleton Village School
Kate Spaulding, Castleton University
Melissa Theis – Rutland Town School
Terri called the meeting to order at 8:05 AM.
Your Journey Starts Here Planning
The date for this year’s event will be Tuesday, April 4, 2017. Everyone agreed to keep the format the same as last year because that worked well. Small improvements were suggested as follows:
- Change the STEM exercise to something different other than the marshmallow/toothpick one.
- Have adult chaperones from each school help to facilitate the student leader discussion and be timekeepers for keeping the tour/schedule/lunch times on track.
- Give chaperones maps in advance so they can learn their way around the campus.
- Tell students to stay off cell phones during event.
- Rutland Middle School will be joining us this year so that adds 160 students to the event. We will fit in the Fine Arts Center but adults will need to stand in the back to allow for enough seating. Since we are adding many new students, schools should consider having larger group sizes (20) if possible.
- Ask Lauren to contact Miss Vermont to see if she can attend event again.
- Each school needs to provide Kate a final count so classrooms/lunch times can be assigned.
- Terri will contact Brian Narkewicz at the Stafford Technical Center Robotic Lab to see if he can do STEM exercise with his students to replace the marshmallow/toothpick exercise.
- Terri will contact Cindy at Stafford to see if she is going to be involved with this year’s event to help secure the Stafford resources such as the Skills USA panel that we had last year.
- Kate will start trying to find out which sports teams can help this year with doing the student leading. We will then need to set a date for the pizza/training night.
- Terri will send out revised permission slips and evaluations.
- Terri and Kate will work on room assignments and groups after we get the final list from schools – then nametags can be prepared by each school.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 am.
Next Meeting: January 18, 2017 from 8 – 9:30 am at Vermont Adult Learning Center
December 30, 2016